Love here!
<3
So, the other day my grandmother called me from Trinidad. It had been at least three months since I talked to her last, and it was nice to see her name and picture pop up on my phone. As soon as I answered the phone I realized how rude, crazy, and almost senile grandmothers can be. By the end of the conversation I also realized that grandmothers posses so much wisdom and truth that it you should always make time to talk to them, especially when you cant seem to find any answers to this thing called life.
"Why haven't you picked up the blasted phone to call me? You don't miss a damn thing! Why is it so hard to pick up the bloody phone?!" were the words that bombarded me within one point five seconds of talking to my Grama.
"Grama. Why are you cursing me out right now?" I said with laughter
"Cursing?! I am not cursing! Have you never heard me use the word bloody?! Since when is damn a curse?!" said dearest Grama
Last I checked damn is a curse, but I was taught to listen and not argue with my elders. We caught up on the weather, and the new flowers in bloom. Then of course the love life questions came. Earlier this summer she met my now ex, and gave him the run down. Turned out she really liked him and saw he had his "head on straight". I really did not want to get into it with her, being that its still a very fresh wound and I have barely told anyone. As in any family if you tell one person something, by the end of the night the whole family knows. I had to let that go though, because unless I told her the whole truth she wouldn't be able to give me real advice on what to do. I am glad that I told her.
When people are hurt, we tend to want to get away from every and anything, which at times helps but also hinders our healing process in the end. I realize now that I should talk to my grandmother more often, because she has been here 3 times as long as I have. My friends who are the same age, cant really help me or give me advice as to what the future holds. My parents can give me advice, but being that it is coming from a "I'm telling you what to do" place in my eyes, it goes in one ear and out the other. But Grams knows best, shes been there seen that done that, not done that but wanted to do that, or saw a friend that did that and saw that it didn't turn out well (lmao).
I admire my grandmother for her wisdom, and for her patients. She's not the type to preach and then throw it in your face when it goes wrong (ahem, mommy) Shes the one who listens to the situation, plays devils advocate, gives her past experience and what she has learned from it, then tells you to do what your heart tells you. She tells you it may not go well, because there's no need in creating false hope, and lets you know that no matter the outcome you will be ok; and that you are loved no matter what, by her and the most high always.
"Remember that you are young, smart, and a beautiful young lady. You can be whatever you want to be in this world. You can be WITH anyone you want to in this world. So, if you want to be with this man, you will. But take your time, have your fun. You only do this damn thing ONE TIME. So do it with everything that you have darlin'. No one person is worth stress, so don't do it. Period. If you find yourself stressed and you don't have any children or a ring on your finger, step away. PERIOD. If its meant to be it'll come back together, don't force it. You're young, have fun."
Simple.
I'm having a ball. Thanks Grams. I love you.
Luego!
<3
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment